Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Ghost Sighting at the Cemetery: Performance of Hamlet at the Lone Fir Cemetery

     I had a wonderful opportunity to watch Hamlet put on by the Portland Actor's Ensemble. The play was performed in the center of Portland's Lone Fir Cemetery. I know, I know! It's impossible to pick a more appropriate place. Needless to say, I was in heaven. If you can imagine heaven being an eerie, pioneer cemetery.
     If you ever have a chance to visit the Lone Fir Cemetery, I highly recommend going. It's amazing and creepy. Here is an example of amazing: 

Macleay Mausoleum

And here is an example of creepy:

grave of James B. and Elizabeth Stephens

Wait. Let's get a close-up of that so you can really see the creepiness. I hope you don't have nightmares tonight.


As for the play itself. It was well-acted and entertaining. The play was performed in a flat grassy area surrounded by tiki torches and spotlights. 

 
The audience members arranged themselves on the slight slopes surrounding the area. People with sand chairs were supposed to sit behind those who sat on blankets. But, as you can see by this picture, they didn't listen to instructions as well as they should. 


Yes, that was where I was sitting on a blanket. I had to crane my neck to see around the chairs, but it was still worth it.

The play started out with the ghost of King Hamlet walking around the audience. Wow, did that set the right mood for the play. He was such an ominous ghost. And I loved the modern military uniform.
 
the ghost of King Hamlet walks

And here is Hamlet. Some of you may have already heard this, but Hamlet was my first literary crush. In the 6th grade, he was my ultimate hero. I still get mushy inside over his character.

Poor Hamlet. Such a tragic hero.

For those who were hearing impaired, there were interpreters that spoke with sign language nearby.

sign language interpreter

Since the play started at 7 pm, it soon grew dark. That was when the torches and spotlights were handy.

the troupe of actors for a play within a play

During a fifteen minute interlude, I rushed through the cemetery, taking lots of pictures.

what an appropriate marker for the surname Dragonhorn.

Yes, that is a teddy bear. How could I not think of Edgar!



This is just plain beautiful
 
this looks like the perfect setting for a scary story


another beautiful building
     I'd like to take the time to thank my friend, Heidi, for inviting me to join her for this marvelous adventure. I owe her big time. Thanks Heidi, you rock!

  If anyone is interested. The Portland Actor's Ensemble is playing a final encore performance of Hamlet on July 21, 2012 at 7:00 pm. But it won't be at the Lone Fir Cemetery.  For more information, check out their website : http://www.portlandactors.com/

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you enjoyed it! You are the perfect person for these types of adventures! We need a new one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting about your experience! Friends of Lone Fir Cemetery is a non-profit dedicated to the preservation of the cemetery markers, grounds, and general upkeep. If you'd like to know more, you can follow us on Twitter at @LoneFirCemetery and subscribe to our emails at http://eepurl.com/mcCRv . Hopefully with more familiarity, some of the elements will become less creepy. :)

    ReplyDelete