Monday, October 7, 2013

Keep Portland Weird

     Portland, Oregon is an amazing city. Every time I visit, my eyes can't consume enough. Seriously, it's a visual hullabaloo of fascinating details. I wander around in a daze with my mouth open and a huge grin on my face. Nowhere else can you find such a combination of creative and friendly people.
    In my last jaunt through Portland, I took a trip with my comrade in chaos, Adrienne, to the Hawthorne districtan area riddled with vintage shops, interesting stores, and delicious eateries. Here are a few places that caught my eye.


Miao Fa Chan Temple: This is a stunning, Chinese style, Buddhist temple.


A house with an arch made of bicycle wheels


Hinson Baptist Church, constructed in 1909


This  bike was chained to a sign post next to the Lone Fir Cemetery. I thought it was a fascinating memorial.

Okay, I saw this van and just about shrieked. We drove around the block several times trying to find a place to park because it is nearly impossible to find parking in the Hawthorne district.  This van is a work of art. Somebody spent some serious hours and creativity constructing this mobile sculpture. Just check out some of the fine details.
Amazing van


close up


I don't know if you can see inside, but the interior is interesting too.


There is a freaking dinosaur on the front. Just how awesome is that!


Hehe, there is a hand on the rear windshield wiper that waves at you.
I can't wait for my next trip to Portland. I'm sure there are more captivating discoveries to be found!

5 comments:

  1. I share the fascination for Portland with you, Laurie. Such a beautiful and unique city! I bet the Waterfront Park is gorgeous right now, with all the autumn colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I will go there next week and take some photos. I want to head to the waterfront to do some research for my latest book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The van is owned be a very "interesting" guy by the name of Extremo, a sculptor/clown/window painter. I sat down and talked to him one day. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Extremo fits :D I bet that was an interesting conversation

    ReplyDelete