Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Unveiling the Newly-Painted Bike

Finally, after a long and miserable winter, spring has arrived. Just in time, the hubbyman finished painting my bike. Here it is in all its heavenly glory.
Yes, that is a new backpack too. It was a birthday present. The backpack has a spiffy pocket for Edgar-the-teddy-bear to sit in and a hydration unit so I don't  die of thirst.
     Taking advantage of the first sunny day this spring, I hopped on my bike and rode up to the cemetery. It was a nostalgic ride. For so many months, I haven't been able to bike because of the nasty weather. Just getting out on the familiar roads made me giddy. The sun was warm, the birds were chirping, and the air was tinted with the scent of magnolias.
Isn't that a beautiful view. The sky is blue, not gray, and the hills are lush and green.
         The cemetery was alive with spring colors. One thing that I adore about the South Yamhill Cemetery is the unique flowers that are planted there. Most cemeteries are boring and immaculately landscaped. Here, flowers are allowed to flourish.

Because the cemetery is nestled in a forest, periwinkle blooms everywhere. I had to tread carefully in order to not step on one of the blossoms.
Daffodils and hyacinths were blooming.



Hellebore=awesome! What an appropriate plant for a cemetery. I want one of these planted at my grave.

Normally, I'm not a primrose person, but this looked stunning. I especially love the dark wine color.
Hyacinths

The daffodils that I planted were still blooming.

I left an Easter egg at Edgar's grave, figured he would appreciate that.


I don't think I mentioned this before, but the cemetery has an outhouse. Just one more reason why this cemetery rocks.

 A real mother out there thought "Yes, I will name my son Shirlock." For some reason, this just struck my fancy.



      After visiting the cemetery, I rode a little further down the road to the McCabe Chapel. 

 
I was able to get in a 15 mile ride without getting rained on. That in itself was an Easter miracle. I look forward to more beautiful days and wonderful rides. This year, I plan on driving to more remote areas to bike. I can't wait for my next adventure.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You should have seen me trying to get some of those photos. Nothing looks more awkward than lying on your stomach in front of a grave.

      Delete